Mirazur restaurant in Menton, France, of chef Mauro Colagreco took the winning spot at The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna.
The announcements of the winners of the prestigious celebration of the very best in global gastronomy took place on 25th of June, in Singapore.
Closely following behind was Noma restaurant of Copenhagen, Denmark, taking second place. Third place went to Asador Etxebarri of Atxondo, Spain.
Food Meets Future
On the evening prior to the Awards, on the 24th of June, S.Pellegrino presented the event "Food meets Future”, a four-part interactive event celebrating inclusion, inspiration, responsibility and talent to mark the 120th anniversary of S.Pellegrino. Read more about it here.
During the highly-anticipated night, a number of restaurants and chefs were announced for the yearly awards, recognizing those in the rising stars category. These awards ranged from the restaurant that ranked the highest first entry into the list, to the venue recognized for the owners and chef’s strong environmental and social responsibility practices.
THE WORLD’S BEST PASTRY CHEF AWARD
Jessica Préalpato - Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
HIGHEST CLIMBER AWARD
Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
HIGHEST NEW ENTRY AWARD
Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)
ART OF HOSPITALITY AWARD
Den (Tokyo, Japan)
CHEF’S CHOICE AWARD
Chef Alain Passard - L'Arpège (Paris, France)
SUSTAINABLE RESTAURANT AWARD
Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED AWARDS
A number of awards that form part of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants had been announced ahead of the ceremony and were presented during the night.
These included the American Express Icon Award which went to José Andrés. The award reflects his overall career as a pioneering chef and restaurateur as well as his more recent humanitarian work through his World Central Kitchen project, both of which have brought him to the status of a global culinary icon.
“I'm very humbled to receive this award, to make sure that I will give voice to those who are voiceless. I will try to make sure that we bring hope, one plate of food at a time,” said José Andrés.
Miele One To Watch award was presented to the restaurant Lido 84 in Lake Garda, Italy. This award celebrates emerging global talent and recognises a restaurant that is outside the 1-50 list with the potential to rise into The World’s 50 Best Restaurants ranking, in the future. Lido 84 was opened in 2014, by brothers Riccardo and Giancarlo Camanini. The keyword is provenance, the restaurant’s culinary philosophy taking inspiration from the surrounding landscape of Lake Garda.
The elit™ Vodka World's Best Female Chef 2019 went to Daniela Soto-Innes, chef-partner at modern Mexican restaurant Cosme in Manhattan. The Best Female Chef series, now in its ninth year, has celebrated 21 women across 15 countries and continues to encourage debate around gender issues in the food world.
William Drew, Group Editor of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, said: “Daniela brings an unparalleled positive energy to her projects and has created a team that celebrates women of all ages. At Cosme she has combined innovative Mexican dishes with warm hospitality, leading a dynamic team to great success and popularity in the fiercely competitive New York dining scene. She is an immense talent who thoroughly deserves this accolade.”
THE FULL LIST: THE WORLD’S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS 2019
1. Mirazur, Menton (France) | BEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE and BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD
2. Noma, Copenhagen (Denmark) | HIGHEST NEW ENTRY
3. Asador Extebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
4. Gaggan, Bangkok (Thailand) | BEST RESTAURANT IN ASIA
5. Geranium, Copenhagen (Denmark)
6. Central, Lima (Peru) | BEST RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AMERICA
7. Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
8. Arpège, Paris (France)
9. Disfrutar, Barcelona (Spain)
10. Maido, Lima (Peru)
11. Den, Tokyo (Japan) |ART OF HOSPITALITY AWARD
12. Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico) | BEST RESTAURANT IN NORTH AMERICA
13. White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
14. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain)| HIGHEST CLIMBER AWARD
15. Septime, Paris (France)
16. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris (France)
17. Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
18. Odette, Singapore
19. Twins Gardens, Moscow (Russia) | NEW ENTRY
20. Tickets, Barcelona (Spain)
21. Frantzén, Stockholm (Sweden) | RE-ENTRY
22. Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
23. Cosme, New York (USA)
24. Quintonil, Mexico city (Mexico)
25. Alléno Paris at Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris (France)
26. Boragó, Santiago (Chile)
27. The Clove Club, London (United Kingdom)
28. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, New York (USA)
29. Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
30. Elkano, Getaria (Spain)
31. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
32. Nerua, Bilbao (Spain) | NEW ENTRY
33. Lyle's, London (United Kingdom)
34. Don Julio, Buenos Aires (Argentina) | NEW ENTRY
35. Atelier Crenn, San Francisco (USA) | NEW ENTRY
36. Le Bernardin, New York (USA)
37. Alinea, Chicago (USA)
38. Hiša Franko, Kobarid (Slovenia)
39. A Casa do Porco, Sao Paulo (Brazil) | NEW ENTRY
40. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin (Germany)
41. The Chairman, Hong Kong (China)
42. Belcanto, Lisbon (Portugal) | NEW ENTRY HIGHEST EUROPEAN
43. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem (Belgium)| RE-ENTRY
44. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town (South Africa) | BEST RESTAURANT IN AFRICA
45. Sühring, Bangkok (Thailand) | NEW ENTRY
46. De Librije, Zwolle (Netherlands) | RE-ENTRY
47. Benu, San Francisco (USA) | NEW ENTRY
48. Ultraviolet, Shangai (China)
49. Leo, Bogotà (Colombia)| NEW ENTRY
50. Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau (Switzerland)| SUSTAINABLE RESTAURANT AWARD