Eleven Madison Park wins The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2017
The winner of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2017, for which S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna are the official water, has been announced as Eleven Madison Park restaurant in New York, USA.
On accepting the award on behalf of Eleven Madison Park for the first time an overjoyed Will Guidara, co-founder of the restaurant, commented that as chefs "we create magical worlds in a world that increasingly needs more magic, because it's something we believe in". Of the award he said "affirmation is a wonderful thing, it fills your gas tank and gives you the ability to keep pushing....and this is the greatest affirmation of all".
A visibly emotional Daniel Humm, chef and fellow co-founder of the restaurant, paid compliments to their entire team: "I’m so proud to be representing you, some of the most amazing people I’ve ever worked with….I can’t wait to come home and tell you that in person". He also added "restaurants are about relationships and relationships are about trust. In Will I found someone I love, respect and I trust".
In second place was Osteria Francescana restaurant (Modena, Italy) and chef Massimo Bottura. Third was awarded to El Celler de Can Roca in Girona, Spain and chefs Roca Brothers. Fourth spot went to Mauro Colagreco and his Mirazur restaurant in Menton, France. Number five was Centràl restaurant in Lima, Perù.
Ana Ros from Slovenia was awarded the World's Best Female Chef 2017, while Heston Blumenthal was recognised for his services to the industry with the Diner's Club® Lifetime Achievement Award 2017 and Disfrutar restaurant in Barcelona was recognised as the recipient of the Miele One to Watch Award.
The World’s Best Pastry Chef was Dominique Ansel and the World’s Chef’s Choice award, picked by those on the list, was Virgilio Martinez. The Highest Climber award went to Dan Barber, Blue Hill at Stone Barns restaurant (Pocantico Hills, NY, USA) and the Highest New Entry award went to Yannick Alleno, Pavillon Ledoyen restaurant (Paris, France).
Here’s the full list of 2017 winners:
- 1. Eleven Madison Park, New York (USA) - BEST RESTAURANT IN NORTH AMERICA and BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD
- 2. Osteria Francescana, Modena (Italy) - BEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE
- 3. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona (Spain)
- 4. Mirazur, Menton (France)
- 5. Central, Lima (Peru) - BEST RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AMERICA
- 6. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
- 7. Gaggan, Bangkok (Thailand) – BEST RESTAURANT IN ASIA
- 8. Maido, Lima (Peru)
- 9. Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
- 10. Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
- 11. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Tarrytown (USA) – HIGHEST CLIMBER AWARD
- 12. Arpège, Paris (France)
- 13. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris (France)
- 14. Restaurant André, Singapore (Singapore)
- 15. Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
- 16. D.O.M. , Sao Paulo (Brazil)
- 17. Le Bernardin, New York (USA)
- 18. Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
- 19. Geranium, Copenhagen (Denmark)
- 20. Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico)
- 21. Alinea, Chicago (USA)
- 22. Quintonil, Mexico City (Mexico)
- 23. White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
- 24. Amber, Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
- 25. Tickets, Barcelona (Spain)
- 26. The Clove Club, London (UK)
- 27. The Ledbury, London (UK)
- 28. Nahm, Bangkok (Thailand)
- 29. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
- 30. Arzak, San Sebastian (Spain)
- 31. Alléno Paris at Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris (France) – HIGHEST NEW ENTRY
- 32. Attica, Melbourne (Australia) - BEST RESTAURANT IN AUSTRALASIA
- 33. Astrid Y Gastón, Lima (Peru)
- 34. De Librije, Zwolle (Netherlands)
- 35. Septime, Paris (France) – SUSTAINABLE RESTAURANT AWARD
- 36. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London (UK)
- 37. Saison, San Francisco (USA)
- 38. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain)
- 39. Relae, Copenhagen (Denmark)
- 40. Cosme, New York (USA)
- 41. Ultraviolet, Shanghai (China)
- 42. Boragò, Santiago (Chile)
- 43. Reale, Castel di Sangro (Italy)
- 44. Brae, Birregurra (Australia)
- 45. Den, Tokyo (Japan)
- 46. L’Astrance, Paris (France)
- 47. Vendôme, Bergisch Gladbach (Germany)
- 48. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin (Germany)
- 49. Tegui, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- 50. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem (Belgium)
For more in depth coverage of the event and to see the list of World’s Best Restaurants 51-100 visit Fine Dining Lovers.
Follow S.Pellegrino at World’s 50 Best on our social channels using #Worlds50Best, #50BestTalks, #sanpellegrino and #SPTaste.